Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Plague, pt. 2

So, it turned out that by Friday, my cold had turned into pneumonia and I was hospitalized overnight. Massive doses of antibiotics and breathing treatments every 4 hours made for a very long night. Thankfully, I got to go home Saturday and hubby made me rest on bed all day Sunday while he took care of the kids.

But then Monday came... Talk about a disaster. Surly teen was supposed to help out by watching his sister so I could rest and recover. He didn't, so I had to get up and do all the mommy things. After getting DD settled and sending her back to the electronic babysitter, aka the TV, I was heading back to bed when the phone rang. It was my mom and she said, "I think (your brother) is dead." After asking all the usual questions- called hospital (no), the police (yes- but no accidents reported), the GF (yes, but got voicemail)- I asked for the GF's number and tried to call her. I left her a message asking her to please call us and let us know, then I proceeded to call the 2 hospitals in Waco. First one called confirmed my mom's fears. My borther had been hit by a car the previous evening and had died from massive head trauma. So, hubby comes home from work, we leave the kids with a neighbor and head to Waco to help out mom. We got home early Thursday afternoon.

Basically- brother was drunk and walking down the middle of a 7 lane busy street in Waco. He was in what they term the suicide lane- the center left turn lane without a median. A 21 yo girl was in that lane, and started to speed up and move over to her right. She, sadly, hit my brother. He was wearing dark clothes and the area was poorly lit. The poor girl didn't see him. ANd despite the fact that she accidentally killed my brother, I am not mad at her. I am mad at him for getting drunk and getting hit and causing this poor child a lifetime of guilt.

No comments: